If you can read this thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English thank a soldier.
Right off the bat it struck me wrong. You the reader are probably saying, "A lot of things strike you wrong." That might be the case but hear me out. As I begin to write this some other thoughts are coming to mind.
- The sticker "wreaks" of the "Speak English or get the #@&% out" mindset. Did you know that more people speak English in China than live in the United States? No joke. English is a very common language worldwide. So having a superiority complex about it is ridiculous.
- Any school teacher, anyone slight grasp on American history, or even minimally educated should know two things:
- America is one of the world's youngest countries (and cultures).
- The English language is made up of MANY other languages. English didn't magically appear to us (Joseph Smith or no Joseph Smith).
- I served in our military and I feel that the sticker is disrespectful to our soldiers/ service members. Do they give up 4 to 20+ years of their lives, or make the ultimate sacrifice so we can speak Amerikun??? During my 4 years I put in countless-thankless hours every week serving our nation. Never, never ever did I stop to think how proud I was that people could speak English because of my service. But I did sleep well knowing people could count on me. I believe that if there were a country of mutes, they would understand what is good and just, and they would serve their nation in pursuit of those things - NOT a common language.
When the rhetoric is heavy common sense and wisdom tends to get thrown out the window. This is a good reminder for myself to check myself when I'm passionate about things.
No comments:
Post a Comment