Monday, October 25, 2010

Music... Ahhh... Music...

Music is an integral part of my life. From 4th grade through 9th grade I played the trumpet (well technically a coronet). Growing up in a conservative Christian home, one where my dad worked at a Christian radio station; it was expected and enforced that we'd only listen to "Christian music". It is with a smile that I think back to my childhood, secretly listening to "secular" songs on a clock radio - hoping not to get caught. One of my favorite songs, strangely, was Iesha by Another Bad Creation circa 1990. Over time my folks loosened the reigns a bit and allowed me to listen to country music. (Yes, it's true I used to love country music.) I cannot explain the rationale behind this, maybe I should talk to my folks. Perhaps country music was "ok" because somehow country artists interweave "Christianity" into their music about broken marriages, drunkenness and the proverbial pickup truck. It wasn't until I left home at the age of 19 that I really began understanding, and appreciating the wide range of music that has been gifted to us. My friend James introduced me to some incredible bands (to name a few): U2, The Cure, The Clash, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode. Several of which became my favorite bands. My life, and my testimony wouldn't be the same without The Cure's - Pictures of You.


Music has shaped me. It has strengthened me. Music has darkened my day, and has also brightened it. I can't help but see how valuable music is, when I see a homeless man walking down the street with all his earthly possessions on his back, and the thing he clings to tightest is his guitar.


"Music is the best refreshment of a troubled man,
whereby his heart is again brought to peace,
invigorated and refreshed."
-Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment