Thursday, August 21, 2014

F*** the Police!


In the light of Ferguson Missouri and other highly publicized incidents that involve Law Enforcement there tends to be this F*** the Police faction that emerges. And even those not that extreme will make allegations that Peace Officers are “self-serving”. I don’t like to put out online that I’m a Police Officer, well for one because I do have to worry about the safety of my family, even though there is a 1st Amendment I could be disciplined or lose my job for saying something “out of line”, and because there’s this tendency to have already written me off because I am a government employee.

Before I get to my intended topic let me start by saying this… I don’t believe in hiding behind the badge or covering up misconduct. Officers should be held to the highest of standards, and those Officers who feel that they shouldn’t be accountable should look for a new profession.  There has been a couple people recently who’ve been shocked to hear me say that an Officer should face jail time or civil suit for misconduct. The law isn’t a one way street - citizens should never feel that it is.

Moving along.

This idea that Law Enforcement Officers are “self-serving” is infuriating (and I’m sure someone is going to say “See! See! Told you so!”).

·         Law Enforcement Officers have higher rates of suicide, depression, alcoholism and divorce than the general public.

·         Officers have to wear a “bullet-proof” vest as part of their everyday work attire. And be skilled in defensive tactics as well.

·         Officers spend their day going from problem to problem, chaos to chaos. I “joke” that Officers never get invited to a happy birthday party, but we have definitely been to ones where uncle Joe stabbed cousin Betty.

·         Officers tend to suffer from many work related health problems (high blood pressure, weight gain, back problems, high cholesterol, etc).  

·         Officers’ average lifespan after retirement is 5 years.

·         Officers tend to work shift-work, holidays and weekends. This can have a huge impact on family life (part of the divorce equation).

·         Officers see things no one should ever have to but there are people who do evil things to others.

·         Officers face internal and external scrutiny, which is necessary, but this can contribute to generally low morale.

·         Officers’ spouses/significant others have to hope and pray that their loved one makes it home safely.

·         Officers see god-awful things. Dead children. Rape victims. Gnarly traffic accidents. Homicide scenes. Suicides. And those are things we won’t ever forget.

·         Officers try to keep their personal information off of search sites so someone doesn’t seek them out, targeting them or their family at home.

·         Officers can not only feel the most alive while on the job but also the most alone. Working long hours and nights, typically alone plus responding to situations where there usually isn’t a warm welcome waiting for them.

·         Officers have to bear the burden of two things, the possibility that they may have to take a life and that they might have to sacrifice their own life while serving others.

·         Officers have these moments of extreme gratitude after some incidents. They realize that things could have been worse and that they’re lucky to be alive.

Somehow there are people who will overlook the above list and still say that Officers are “self-serving”. I just don’t get it. I have seen firsthand the mixed messages that Law Enforcement has to wade through – just one example… There was an outcry that there wasn’t enough of a Police presence downtown so the Department dedicated more Officers to that area only to have the very same people say that having all the Officers in the area might give tourists the impression that it isn’t a safe place to spend their money.  I have seen firsthand those things in the list, burying it inside to the detriment of myself and my relationships.

Regardless of what these naysayers think or say, or how thankless this profession feels,  I for one will continue to faithfully serve others, putting service before self; I will rush to the aid of whoever needs it; I will strive to remain knowledgeable of the latest trends and training; I will welcome constructive criticism; I will always remember my oath and what it means to be a public servant; I will always tell my wife that I love her and be thankful when I make it home at the end of the shift.

1 comment:

  1. I know it seems the majority does not appreciate what you do, but I for one am grateful and prayerful for the officers in my town. Thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete