Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The sin of short-timer's syndrome...

While I don't often run into Christians who have short-timer's syndrome, I still see it from time to time. What I'm talking about is this: Christians that believe Christ is coming any moment, and all that matters is end time prophecy being fulfilled.


My dad always had a joke that he was not a pre-trib or post-trib believer, but a "pan tribulationist". Or more simply put, "Every thing will pan out."

I am definitely of similar mindset. While I think there are problems being too extreme in either direction on this issue; that Christ isn't coming back anytime soon so live a flippant life or "Jesus is coming, look busy!" I would have to say that I believe the later is more dangerous. 

Throughout the Word we are told to care for the orphan, the widow and our enemies. We are commanded to not be lazy. We are instructed to take every thought and moment captive. And Paul tells us to not abuse our freedom. It becomes easy to adopt a worldview that leads to complancency in our love towards others (mainly the poor and oppressed) because "Christ's return will fix everything." If we take a peek at Revelation it is quite clear that no one knows when Jesus will make his re-appearance.

While I'm not the best at being in the Word, or loving God and others, it is absolutely what I strive towards. This isn't because I feel that Christ will be coming back at any moment, but because He loves me. I want to live fervently because of this fact - nothing else.

There is no time to sit around singing kumbaya. The fields are ripe for harvest. There is much work to be done.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces,
I would still plant my apple tree."
- Martin Luther 

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I put pre-trib eschatology on my heretic list after someone told me all of the taking care of people commandments were for during the tribulation period, after the Christians were raptured.

    ReplyDelete