We have all heard or even sang that kids' anti-bullying song - "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." What a load of crap. Words are one of the most powerful things we have in us. How we use them or neglect to use them has vast impact on those we love and those we come in contact with.
It's not naïve to think that anyone reading this has had someone tell them off, break their heart or neglect them. Our world is full of broken people, I being one of them. I am also a culprit. Many friends struggle with self-worth issues because their father made comments about their weight or looks. Others try to "feel" something/anything in the wake of a parent never telling them that they were loved. On one of my favorite TV shows, ABC's Extreme Weight Loss, many of the folks have wound up where they are because of the things those closest to them said.
How do we break this destructive cycle? How do we treat people better? Maybe it begins with believing that others have worth equal to ours. I have struggled with things such as "labels" for people (like shown in the photo above). Recently I've been trying to change my attitude toward others, especially while driving in construction traffic. Too many times I've internally said "What a retard/dick/asshole/bitch!" when someone has cut me off. Since I've started to think of that person as highly as myself I have begun to not immediately think these things. I have no idea what that person is going through or why they are driving carelessly but it's unhealthy for me to think of others so poorly.
I've been married just over two years and I have seen in myself the stubbornness that arises during conflict. In these times I have found it easy to clam up. It's a good thing that I don't say mean things, but it can be just as hurtful to not say the things that need to be said. Things such as - "I love you", "I'm sorry", "Please forgive me", "I trust you", etc.
I should have written out a flowchart for where I wanted this post to go, but I didn't and coupled with the afternoon slump I've hit the wall.
All this to say: Be mindful of others. Words said or unsaid can hurt or heal. Love with abandon, you can't love too much (well... unless you're promoting someone's addiction or violating a Restraining Order). Write a note to someone to let them know you appreciate them (I have two such notes from people, my wife and a friend, that I see daily). Talk to that neighbor that seems difficult. Text message those closest to you, or even someone you care about that you haven't talked to in awhile and let them know you're thinking about them. Treat others as you want to be treated... you know, that "Golden Rule" thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment